And the time came when we had try to potty train Stella since she was two, but it didn’t work out. Some people say is better to do it during Summer time. Well we were a away for a month during summer time in Perú and we couldn’t do it.
Upon our return, I started to read about how to potty train your kid, so I had an idea because I honestly didn’t even know where to start. I just wanted to spank her once so she understood quickly, but that wouldn’t make things better, it would get things worse, especially if your kid is super stubborn like mine.
My Pre- Potty recommendations:
- Stay at home at least FIVE days with your kid, no activities other than those around the house, to prevent “pee pee” accidents while you are at the grocery store or doing errands.
- Start from showing your kid how you “pee pee” from sitting, wiping your butt and flushing the toilet.
- Integrate barbies, babies or any favorite toy to the potty training time. Pretend barbie is going pee pee and show your kid how happy barbie it is to go pee pee. I know it may sounds “cu-cu” but your kid will feel related to that.
- Find a toilet sit that your kid like. Some come with music, some has its favorite character, some are the portable potty’s. And get ready because even though you buy your kid’s favorite character toilet sit, when your kid tries it, he/she may not like it anymore. Or you may buy the portable potty, so your kid is more comfortable and he/she may just want to use the big toilet like everyone else in the house.
- PATIENCE, and I will continue with this last recommendation PATIENCE, and if your kid is stubborn like mine MORE PATIENCE.
So our training started on a Monday and I had to train my daughter in Spanish, she doesn’t even know the word “potty”, we say “Vamos pi-pi”
1st day, our first attempt was right after breakfast and we offered a treat (chocolate), she cried a few times and after the 3rd attempt of taking her pee pee, she finally did it for the first time and Stella said ” I DID IT, I DID IT” everytime she pee pee, we made a BIG SUCCESS ACCOMPLISHMENT. She would go if we would take her but we wanted her to learn to say it: Mami quiero pipi. Our first day wasn’t bad, we only had one pee pee accident. Take your kid after 30 min of every meal, and don’t give any water 30 min before bedtime, so they go before bedtime and no accidents occur overnight.
2nd day was about the same as the first day. I had already read that even if you have bad days don’t stop, if you do, everything goes back to the beginning.
3rd day was a great morning, and after that three accidents including poo-poo accidents, my husband had to clean. Stella cried, we were ALL upset and stressed out, we talked firmly with her and were very tough with her. A friend of mine told me don’t change her cloths after an accident wait until she notices it and she won’t like; so even though we had a really bad third day…
4th day was with one accident and one ride to the mall without an accident.
5th day no accidents at all, although get ready for this… until this day she says : I Poopoo mami, so my first reaction was like NO! she already poopoo in her pants, everytime she says I poopoo mami means she wants to go poopoo, so you need understand every kid is different the idea is that at least you get rid off those diapers and your kid starts using the toilet.
Remember don’t lose your PATIENCE! in the end everyone will be happy.
Till next time,
(see below other toilet sit ideas)